DCECU awards $15K in college scholarships July 15, 2020
Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union has awarded 10 scholarships worth $1,500 each to DCECU-affiliated students through two scholarship programs.
DCECU awarded eight of the scholarships to members in good standing through the Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union Members Endowed Scholarship program, which is administered by the Midland Area Community Foundation. The remaining two scholarships were awarded to family members of credit union employees through a separate scholarship fund with the foundation.
The 2020 scholarship winners and their intended fields of study and universities are:
- Joe Cummings, Bullock Creek High School (Midland), biology, Saginaw Valley State University
- Serena Fleming-Dittenber, Midland High School, biology, Saginaw Valley State University
- Ashley King, Heritage High School (Saginaw), optometry, University of Michigan
- Thomas Johnstone, Midland High School, business/economics, Alma College
- Allison Leslie, Herbert Henry Dow High School (Midland), biochemistry, Ferris State University
- Jaylynn Slabic, Gladwin High School, healthcare administration, Northwood University
- Hailee Swantek, Midland High School, accounting, Michigan State University
- Katelyn Taylor, Swan Valley High School (Saginaw), kinesiology, Saginaw Valley State University
- Brooke Ward, Coleman High School, business/economics, Saginaw Valley State University
- Audrey Xu, Herbert Henry Dow High School (Midland), finance, University of Michigan
“Now in our eighth year of this scholarship program through the Midland Area Community Foundation, DCECU remains steadfastly committed to supporting the educational aspirations of students who are part of the credit union,” said DCECU Vice President of Retail Operations Ken Roznowski, who helped organize the scholarship program. “It is important to us to give back in every way we can, and we see this scholarship program as an investment in the future of our community – and our society as a whole.”
Since DCECU’s two scholarship programs with the foundation began in 2013, a total of $120,000 has been awarded.
DCECU members can apply for the Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union Members Endowed Scholarship each year between December 1 and March 1 by visiting the Midland Area Community Foundation website at midlandfoundation.org/scholarships. Applicants must be planning to attend or already attending an accredited community college or four-year college or university. For more information regarding the scholarship, call the foundation at 989.839.9661.
For 2020, the foundation awarded a total of 320 scholarships worth more than $800,000 to 231 local students.